Home ....... Galleries....... About Me ....... FAQ'S....... About Me ...... Schedule ....... Contact ....... My Lightbox ....... My Cart ..... . My Account

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Lucky day for a one-eyed goldfish!

The prickly pear cactus is blooming in my neighborhood. On the corner, about seven houses down is a big cactus that is covered with blooms. About three blocks away is another one. Most of the time I see yellow blooms on a prickly pear, but about half of the blooms on this plant are orange. The honey bees were having a blast rolling around in the pollen. The third image today was taken on my recent trip to Utah. It was taken at Goosenecks State Park near Mexican Hat, Utah.
OK, so whats a goldfish got to do with these photos? Nuthin! But lets go back a couple of weeks. Thats when I put a picture of the big bullfrog that lives in our backyard pond on this blog. The last time I saw him was a couple of days after that. Did the full moon cause him to go looking for love? Did he get eaten by the black cat I saw in the yard? Did a raccoon grab him during the night? Did we have another visit from a Great Blue Heron? Usually the fish hide for about 3 or 4 days after a heron raid and we haven't noticed that happening. I now think I have a good idea what may have happened to mr. frog. Today I spent most of the morning in my back yard office. My computer is about 15 feet from the pond. Its a small pond in a fairly small yard with an 8 foot fence around it. About noon I went in the house, showered, dressed and then walked through the den on my way to the kitchen. The room has a window where you can see the back yard. Thats when that surreal feeling hit me again. I need to back up and take another look in the backyard. Did I see what I thought I saw standing by the pond? OOOOOOOOOh s......t!!!!! And he's already got a fish in his beak. I tried to quickly grab my camera and get a picture, but failed. The heron started walking toward the far corner of the yard as soon as he saw me watching him through the window. I opened the back door and was heading toward him before he flew away and dropped the fish about 30 feet from the pond. The fish landed in the grass but was still alive and flopping about. At first glance I thought he was injured. Then I realized it was the goldfish that only had one eye and that was his bad side that was facing me. I picked him up and threw him back in the pond where he swam away and hid with the rest of the fish. To my surprise the fish did come out and get some food this evening. I think I spotted old one-eye with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment